Sunday, December 18, 2011

Ancient aunt


Blue eyes I've never meet, but knew,
an ancient aunt perhaps – kinder than
my mother – said: "you look like an actor." 
Mother, hellbent on filling my
life with her story, said: 
"my hair was wasted on a man."
My distant auntie goes on:
"You've got the stare of an empty parking lot filled with 
upturned push pins, just like a matinee idol in New Brunswick."
I tell her: "I've never been to New Brunswick.
So we plan a trip by train, to feel
the clanking metal wheels on metal tracks
getting hundreds of miles to the gallon. 
I bring my family photos for entrainment. We’re
lost for hours, until we come across a young 
photo of my mother, she looks just like my traveling 
companion on a good day. 
I close the book, gently put into her lap.
I walk hurriedly to a door and jump from the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment